Writers Lab Seeks New Members, Apply by June 1, 2018
The Ma-Yi Writers Lab is now reviewing applications for new members for the 2018-2020 Seasons. We accept new members on a biennial basis; to be considered please submit all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1st, 2018. We will accept email submissions only.
The Ma-Yi Writers Lab is the largest resident company of Asian-American playwrights ever assembled. Founded in 2004 by Sung Rno in connection with the NEA/TCG Playwright’s Residency program and currently led by Mike Lew and A. Rey Pamatmat, the Lab has fast become home to some of the country’s most exciting emerging writers. We are a professional peer-based workshop in permanent residence with the Drama Desk and OBIE Award-winning Ma-Yi Theater Company, designed to nurture and showcase Asian-American playwrights in New York City. The Lab is a community resource, brain trust and place of artistic growth for its members.
Plays that were born in the Lab have gone on to workshops and productions within Ma-Yi as well as with the Atlantic, the Public, LCT3, Second Stage, EST, the Humana Festival, the Huntington, the Magic, South Coast Rep, The Taper, Victory Gardens, Woolly Mammoth, Yale Rep, Sundance, the O’Neill, Bay Area Playwrights Festival, Berkeley Rep Ground Floor, and many more. Recent Labbie achievements include two Mellon NPRP fellowships, a Van Lier fellowship, three Hodder fellowships, two Lark Venturous fellowships, two Whiting Awards, a Glickman Award, three Audible commissions, and seven New Dramatists residencies.
If accepted for Lab membership, we ask you to:
- *be a New York City resident
- *attend biweekly meetings from September – June (as many as possible but at least 70%)
- *participate in and see ALL LabFest readings (which occur on a quarterly basis)
- *support members outside of Lab activities, when possible
- *complete a first draft of at least one new full-length play every year
To apply to the Lab, please submit:
- *a cover letter with all relevant contact information;
- *an artistic resume including production experience, publications, and training (as applicable);
- *a one-page artist’s statement describing your interest in the Lab and how you hope it will benefit your work and your further development as a writer; and
- *one full-length play, as a PDF or Word doc. Please note that we may only consider the first 25 pages of each submission (depending on submission volumes) but would still like to have an entire full-length for reference.
Finalists will be asked to interview in late July 2018. New members will begin meeting in September of 2018. For more about the Lab, please visit http://ma-yitheatre.org/about-the-lab/